So you need to write a speech? These 7 steps will help you get started:
- Choose a topic
- Write down keywords related to what you know about this topic
- Conduct background research (use encyclopedias and get a general overview)
- Repeat step 2 armed with some new information
- Create an outline with subtopics / perspectives you plan to address (to help keep you on track with your speech AND your research)
- Find more specific information about those different subtopics / perspectives (use the library to find articles and books)
- Expand your outline using research
After completing these steps, you should have the information you need and organization framework to write a great speech.
This guide focuses on places to find information about the topic of your speech, how to evaluate and attribute the information you find, and where to get more help if you need it.